Tuesday 13 December 2011

Chapter 3 & 4

Chapter 3:
Page 43: "I believe that on the first night I went to Gatsby's house I was one of the few guests who had actually been invited. People were not invited - they went there."
Page 47: "This fella's a regular Belasco. It's a triumph. What thoroughness! What realism! Knew when to stop, too - didn't cut the pages. But what do you want? What do you expect?"
Page 49: " It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life....It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself."

 Page 52: "She had a fight with a man who says he's her husband...Most of the remaining women were now having fights with men said to be their husbands."
Page 57:  "I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes, and felt it in others - poor young clerk who loitered in front of windows waiting until it was time for a solitary restaurant dinner - young clerks in the dusk, wasting the most poignant moments of night and life."
 Page 59: " It takes two to make an accident."
  
Chapter 4:
 Page 61: "He's a bootlegger....One time he killed a man who found out that he was nephew to Von Hindenburg and second cousin to the devil."
 Page 68: "Filled with faces dead and gone. Filled with friends gone now forever. I can't forget so long as I live the night they shot Rosy Rosenthal there."
Page 71: "You're very polite, but I belong to another generation....You sit here and discuss your sports and your young ladies....As for me, I am fifty years old, and I won't impose myself on you any longer."
Page 77: " A phrase began to beat in my ears with a sort of heady excitement: 'There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy, and the tired.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment